Just So Singers
Just So Singers choir started in September 1994. Run by Alison Wrigley, Professional Lead for SEND music for Surrey Arts, Musical Director of Just So Singers (young persons SEND choir) Musical Director of High Notes and Wholenotes (adult SEND choirs).
We have about 50 members from six schools and local colleges - Carwarden House, Park School, Philip Southcote, Brooklands College, Pond Meadow (post 16) and Meath. Any student from a Surrey SEND school, full time education within Surrey or home educated can come between the ages of 9 – 19 years. We aim to develop life skills, team work, communication and hopefully a love of singing through the choir. We do this through weekly rehearsals working together and by offering performance opportunities of the highest calibre with professional musicians to raise expectations and achievements and develop confidence and self-esteem.
Just So rehearses on Wednesday evenings (term time) at The Park School, Woking 3.45 - 4.45pm and Carwarden House, Frimley 3.30 - 4.30pm.
Reasons to join Just So Singers
1. To be part of a team
2. To develop life skills
3. Increased sense of achievement
4. Performance opportunites
For more information read the Choir Mission Statement
How do I become a member of Just So Singers?
Membership is free and open to students aged 9 - 19 and educated in Surrey and specifically for students with SEND.
Woking - contact Ambie Desoutter firstname.lastname@example.org
Frimley - contact Alison Wrigley email@example.com
Conductors and Tutors
Just So Singers is lead musical and founder Alison Wrigley BEM, Ambie Desoutter and is supported by Caroline Pearce.
For this work Alison Wrigley was awarded the British Empire Medal in the New Year’s Honours list 2016.
Alison Wrigley is Professional Lead for SEND music, Surrey Arts.
We sing a variety of songs from musicals, folk songs, ballads and pop which extends the knowledge and understanding of different musical genres.
Concerts and Events
We have numerous commissioned works by Paul Ayres, Gareth Giles, Nick O’Neil and Simon May. We have sung in the House Of Commons to MP’s, met and talked Ed Balls and Lord Adonis as well as sing to about 300 VIPs at the commons. We have worked with The Globe Educational team producing music for Shakespeare productions at Gosden House School and recently working with the Lighthouse project at Gosden House whose patron is Julie Walters.
We have sung with VOCES8 – internationally acclaimed a cappella group - at the Yehudi Menuhin School in a concert to a packed concert hall (2011 and 2013). This was the highlight of 2 days of workshops (200 SEN students from 9 schools around Surrey) with the a cappella singing group VOCES8. As a result of this the Director of Surrey County Council David McNulty (who attend the concert and was very impressed) offered sponsorship of £90,000 to develop a singing residency over 6 years with VOCES8 and to develop gifted and talented SEN work and support future work with Just So Singers.
Check here for latest Just So SIngers news.
How we sound
See some of our talented musicians in action in our photo album
Many of our members now sing with High Notes Adult SEND Choir and Wholenotes SEND Choir.
Previous concert venues the choir have sung in:
• St John’s Smith Square as part of John Tavener’s celebration of his life weekend – we sang the UK premiere of one of his compositions with the St John’s Smith Strings conducted by John Lubbock
• Albert Hall on several occasions through our work with Surrey Arts
• The Barbican – as part of a massed choir
• The Anvil – as part of a massed choir
• The Electric Theatre Guildford as part of an SEN show written by Alison Wrigley
• Farnham Festival at the Maltings with specially commissioned work by Paul Ayres for choir and percussion
• Rhoda MaGaw Woking collaborative show with SEN students from around Surrey commissioned work by Gareth Giles
• Guildford Cathedral on numerous occasions – sponsored by Surrey Arts and involving 18 of the SEN schools from around the county
• Camberley Theatre – ABBA presentation for Just So and High Notes adults SEN choirs
• Live on BBC Southern Counties Radio
• Filmed for BBC working lunch with a commissioned piece by Simon May
• The Mermaid – commissioned work for Just So and percussion by Nick O’Neill and performed at Losely House
• Collaborative Christmas concerts around the county with SEN schools from Surrey • Christmas concert at Wellington College chapel (2015)
• We have sung with the Epworth choir, Occam Singers (David Gibson director) and Cantique (Chris Gardner director) and a local orchestra singing Bond songs
• In 2012 as part of the Olympics themed concert in the Albert Hall, we sang a song written by me to 4,000 including the Duke and Duchess, Sophie and Edward and some of the students went with me to meet the Duke and duchess
• 2015 – we again sang to the Duke and Duchess as part of an opera written by Hannah Conway and Richard Stilgoe to celebrate the Magna Carta’s 800 anniversary in the Albert Hall
Most recently we were filmed by ITV Meridian on Wednesday 16th March – which went out on 11 April 2016.
See how Just So SIngers makes a difference to people's lives
Director Alison Wrigley
T. 07814 430442